About Davenport, Oklahoma
Facts, Trivia and useful information
Elevation: 843 ft. (257 m). Population: 896 (2010).
Time zone: Central (CST): UTC minus 6 hours. Summer (DST) CDT (UTC-5).
Davenport is located in the central part of Lincoln County, Oklahoma. Eight miles east of Chandler, the county seat.
For an early history of the region see Tulsa's History.
The town was originally a part of the Oklahoma Territory, just west of the land of the Creek Tribe and therefore was not part of the Indian Territory, however the land had been given to Native Americans by the U.S. government.
Sac and Fox Nation
The Sac and Fox are Native Americans whose original lands were located next to Lakes Huron and Michigan. The American government decided to relocate them (and all other Indians that lived east of the Mississippi) in the Indian Territories in the 1870s.
But the government later changed its mind and decided to settle the Natives, therefore they assigned each tribe member a plot of land, made them occupy it, thus reducing the land held by the tribes. The Indians had to sell the rest back to the federal government.
This surplus land (900,000 acres) was then opened to a "Land Run" by non-Indian settlers. The "run" took place on September 22, 1891 and what would become Davenport was claimed as homestsead by Noah and Annie Sutton Davenport.
A land run or rush was a race where the potential homesteaders set off from a starting point and rode as fast as they could to the land that was being granted, to stake their claims on the best possible places.
The mural on Broadway St. (see image below), depicts the 1891 Land Run:
Murals on Broadway Street, Davenport
The post office was established in 1892, and Davenport's daughter Nettie became postmistress. A community sprung up around it.
The St. Louis and Oklahoma City Railroad (later the St. Louis and San Francisco Railway or Frisco) reached the area in 1898 linking it to the outside world. The town was first platted by a local farmer, Cleason Robertson in 1900, but a year later a second railroad decided to lay a second railway across Davenport and the town moved to the point where the two railroads intersected.
The town was located on the crossing of the Santa Fe Railroad which had a north to south course, and ran on the western side of the town, and "Frisco" which crossed it from east to west on its southern side. Two small stops were located close to Davenport: Daggett, to the west and Chuckaho to the south.
Davenport incorporated in 1906 and had reached 512 residents when Oklahoma became a state of the Union in 1907.
Davenport lobbied to be on the main road to link Oklahoma City with Tulsa (see Ozark Trail below) in 1915, and was successful. Later Route 66 would use that same alignment and Davenport would benefit from the travelers that drove down the Mother Road. In 1926 the town paved its main street (Broadway) with bricks.
Oil was discovered at Davenport in the 1920s and this lead to a population growth which peaked at 1,072 in 1930. The Spherical Tank was built at this time to store natural gas.
When the Turner Turnpike linked Oklahoma City with Tulsa in the late 1950s, traffic bypassed the town, Route 66 traffic declined and population decreased. Most of its employed residents now commute to nearby towns to work.
Where to Stay
There are no hotels in Davenport but you can lodge in other nearby towns along Route 66
Lodging Near Davenport
Book your Hotel in neighboring Stroud
>> There are some RV campgrounds close to Davenport.
The winter averages are: high (January) about 48°F and the low is around 27°F (8.9 & -2.5°C). The summer (July) average high and low are 93 and 71°F (34 & 21.7°C).
Temperatures of above 100°F (38°C) can be felt during summer. Summer and spring are the rainest period: annual rainfall averages 41 in. (1.040 mm) and there are some 92 rainy days every year.
Around 9.5 inches (24.1 cm) of snow falls during the winter between Nov. and March.
Thunderstorms may cause tornados at any time of the year, but they are more frequent during Spring and Summer. As Davenport is located inside Oklahoma's "Tornado Alley there are about 10 Tornado watches every year.
Tornado Risk: read more about Tornado Risk along Route66.
Getting to Davenport
To the west, are Chandler (7 mi), and, 54 mi. away, Oklahoma City.Davenport town OK AZ NM TT Arizona zz arizona
Map of Route 66 in Davenport, OK
Check out Davenport on our Map of Route 66 in Oklahoma, with the complete alignment and all the towns along it.
Map with the alignment of Route 66 through Davenport
Click on this link > > US 66 alignment in Davenport
Route 66's alignment in Oklahoma: the Historic Route 66 through Davenport
Route 66 in Oklahoma
Click to read the Full description of Route 66 across Oklahoma.
Read below for more information on Route 66's alignment in Davenport.
Route 66 landmarks & attractions
Sights in Davenport
Davenport's Brick-paved Broadway Street is listed in the National Register of Historic Places, two vintage filling stations and, to the north of town the Ozark Trail alignment of 1926 Route 66.
Historic Places and Buildings
Mural on Broadway
The Farmers Bank Building dates back to 1905 and stands on the intersection of Main and Broadway in Davenport. It is a typical two story, red-brick Commercial style building. On its south face is the mural, or better said, the murals:
See the image of the mural above
There are several paintings on the wall that depict a stage coach, Postmistress and first settler's daugher Nettie Davenport and a reproduction of the "Land Run" from Harper's Weekly magazine, September 1891 issue, the "Second Land Run Oklahoma".
It is apparently the tallest mural on Route 66: 32 feet (9,76 m) tall.
Brick Paved Street
Brick Paving on Broadway, Davenport
Broadway, Davenport, OK.
Listed in the National Register of Historic Places
When Route 66 was commissioned in 1926 traffic through the town increased and the local government paved the Main Street with vitrified bricks. These were made locally by the Davenport Brick & Tile Company.
The view above shows the brick paving on Broadway which dates back to 1925-26.
It originally ran from the Frisco tracks to te north side of the town on Sixth St. along Broadway. The width of the brick paving varies between 30 and 72 feet. The bricks are of a uniform size measuring 2.4 by 4 by 8 inches, and they are set in sand. There is a concrete apron five ft. wide at each curb. At the intersetions the bricks were ladi with a decorative feature, forming an X centered in the middle of the intersection.
Brick paving was popular in the early 1900s and many streets still have them in Oklahoma: Covington, Davenport, Shawnee, Chandler, Guthrie, Texoma, and Bristow, among others.
The Main Street is known as "Snuff Street", and the reason is that at each street crossing there were dips which made the cars "take a dip" every block.
Head south from Route 66 into the town along Broadway and enjoy the red brick pavement.
Magnolia Service Station
Broadway and 8th St.
Just beside Route 66's curve at the south end of town, as it exits towards the west, a very rare building: a original wooden frame service station.
As most filling stations of those days, it was designed in a "Cottage style", to reassure travelers and make them feel at home. It was built by Magnolia around 1929.
See its location and its Street View
Texaco Service Station
Route 66 and Broadway at 7th St.
At the curve is a refurbished 1933 Texaco station. It has one canopy covering the filling bay which is supported by a central column. The canopy and the building have a low steel sheet hip-roof.
One of the doors of the office is decorated with vintage license plates.
See its location and its Street View
The town of Davenport celebrates the Nettie Davenport Day every year, on the Saturday before Mother's Day. It commemorates the town's pioneer origin and its heritage.
The annual Community Fair is held the week before Labor Day.
Tours & Itineraries
Nearby Route 66 Towns
Route 66 alignment through Oklahoma
Learn more about alignment of Historic Route-66 through Oklahoma.
The Historic "Original" segments of Route 66 near Davenport
Drive along the Original Route 66 alignment of the 1920s
The original road that linked Chandler to Sapulpa was the "Ozark Trails" system, which was built in 1915 and had many unpaved sections. It was incorporated into the new U.S. Highway 66 when it was created in 1926.
Ozark Trail Section
The local authorities of Lincoln county campaigned during the early 1910s for a branch of the Ozark Trail system to pass throug Davenport. In 1916 the Trail was aligned through the town.
In 1924 it became Oklahoma Highway No. 7 linking Oklahoma City to Miami, OK, along an alignment that was later incorporated into US highway 66, when Route 66 was created in 1926.
Therefore the original road through Davenport was the Ozark Trail "Dogleg", it can still be driven: coming from the east, from Stroud, when OK-66 curves towards the southwest to approach Davenport (taking the 1930 alignment), keep straight and head west along E0890Rd. Along this section you will see, to the right, on the north side of the road, the Spherical Tank, the first of its kind in Oklahoma, dating from 1925.
Spherical Storage Tank
Visible on the north side of E0890Rd just before its junction with N 3503 Rd.
If you drive along the Ozark Trail section of Route 66 north of Davenport you will spot this "ball-shaped" tank.
It was built by Magnolia Oil. Co., as a natural gas storage tank in 1925. It is said to be the very first round steel tank built on an oil field in the whole world.
Gas and oil were found in Davenport in 1924, and the tank was used to store the natural gas.
Spherical steel Storage tank, Davenport
Take a right at its junction with N 3500 Rd. (Santa Fe Rd.) and head southwards into the town where you will meet OK-66 again and its 1930 alignment
In 1930 US 66 was improved and was paved from the Creek County Line to Chandler with Portland Concrete. The exception was 1.6 miles through the town of Davenport which was paved the following year with asphalt and in 1933 rebuilt in Portland concrete. Until 1993 there was a viaduct south of Davenport, which carried Route 66 over the old tracks of the Santa Fe railway. The tracks and viaduct are now gone.
Just 14 miles northeast of the town is a spot for water sports, swimming, fishing and camping. It has RV parking space.
Full details and camping space reservations: Website. (405) 747-7300
National & State Parks
Accommodation Search box: