All you need to know about Rescue
Facts, info and Trivia
Elevation: 1,214 (370 m). Population n⁄a (2010).
Time zone: Central (CST): UTC minus 6 hours. Summer (DST) CDT (UTC-5).
Rescue is a small village on Old Route 66 in Lawrence County, in southwestern Missouri. (Map of Rescue).
Route 66 garage at Rescue
History of Rescue
Learn more about the history of Rescue in our Carthage Missouri page.
The name: Rescue
There is no record of the name, which according to some sources comes from the rescue of a pioneer family, who was in dire straits in the area (maybe beseiged by the natives).
The county created in 1845 was named after James Lawrence a seaman from the English-American War of 1812.
The post office took the name of "Rescue" when it opened in 1897. It closed in 1904. In the 1920s there was a gas station and a lodge run by the Rogers. It was located on the Ozark Trail which in 1926 became Route 66.
Shortly after, Shadyside Camp (also written Shadyside) opened to the west of town. Travellers along Route 66 kept business alive during the hard days of the Great Depression in the 1930s and thrived on Post World War II travel. But in the late 1950s, I-44 bypassed the area siphoning traffic away from U.S. 66.
Where to Lodge in Rescue, Missouri
Lodging close to Rescue: in neighboring Carthage...
> > Book your hotel in neighboring Carthage
More Lodging near Rescue along Route 66
Motels and Hotels close to Rescue
Hotels, Westwards in Missouri
Heading West... Hotels & Motels in Kansas...
- 53 miles Baxter Springs
Further West... Hotels & Motels on Route 66 in Oklahoma...
Heading East in Missouri, more accommodation
>> Check out the RV campgrounds in nearby Carthage
Weather in Rescue
Weather widget for Avilla, the town nearest Plew, to the west
Rescue is located in the infamous "Tornado Alley", and Lawrence County has around 8 tornado strikes per year.
Tornado Risk: read more about Tornado Risk along Route66.
Map of Route 66 through Rescue Missouri
Display Rescue Route 66 Map
Click Map will appear below
Route 66's alignment in Missouri: the Historic Route 66 through Rescue
Route 66 across Missouri
Historic U.S. highway 66, "Route 66" has been designated as an All-American Road and National Scenic Byway in the state of Missouri.
Click on the following link for a Full description of Route 66 across the state of Missouri.
Route 66 Sights in Rescue
Landmarks and Places to See
Small community on U.S. 66
Rescue and its Route 66 attractions
Historic context, the classic Route 66 in Rescue
Jack DeVere Rittenhouse mentions Rescue in his 1946 book "A Guide Book to Highway 66" giving us an idea of what Route 66 was like in those days: "Rescue. (Brown's garage, Reed’s Cabins) A small village with a few homes and a couple of groceries." He added that one mile west was a gas station and Shadyside Camp, followed two miles west (in what is now Plew) by more gas stations.
Tour the route 66 landmarks in Rescue
County Road 1214 and MO-96 -Old Route 66 mark the point where Rescue is located. Reed's Cabins are still there and so is Brown's garage still stands:
View of Reed’s Cabins Rescue MO, Click on image for Street View
On the North Side of MO-96 just east of County Lane 1040 (Map with location).
There are two stone wall, wood frame gabled cabins (a third was razed in the '80s) are now private propery. To the west is the former cafe, now a stone-faced residence. The cabins were built ca.1926 and owned together with the cafe by Roy Rogers and his wife.
Route 66 and Co. Rd. 1214
Just to the west of Reed's. This white building on the north side of Route 66 is the garage mentioned by Rittenhouse. See photo above.
It has two bays in the repair shop area. Perhaps it was the service station ran by the Rogers.
Head west towards Avilla and Carthage and just one mile from Rescue, to your right (north) is the Shady Side Camp cabins and former service station:
3268 Missouri 96, La Russell: Route 66 1 mi. west of Rescue
The postcard below names it "Clay’s Shady Side Camp" but Rittenhouse in his 1946 book calls it "Shadyside Camp" (in one word).
L. F. Arthur buitl Shadyside Camp in 1927, he used local rocks and erected four cabins, which survive until this day.
The gas station with a café which faced the road is still standing, but as you can see by comparing the postcard below with its present appearance, the gabled canopy that stood over the gas pumps, has now gone.
The buildings were arranged around a central court area. Map with location.
In 1946, Rittenhouse described it as "Gas station; also Shadyside Camp."
A vintage (1940s?) postcard showing ShadySide Camp and Service Station
A view today of what used to be Shady Side Camp in Rescue
Tours & Itineraries
Old Route 66 in Rescue, Missouri
From Halltown to Rescue
In the early 1900s automobiles became more popular and the trails and dirt tracks were in very poor shape so W. H. "Coin" Harvey (1851-1936) created the Ozark Trails Association in 1913. The Ozark Trail eventually crossed Missouri, Oklahoma, Texas and reached the Santa Fe Trail in New Mexico.
Route 66 follows a straight course from Halltown to Avilla, and it has followed it since Route 66 was created back in 1926, which is shown in Pale Blue in the Map above. There is a small segment of th original 1926 road in Paris Springs, shown in Black in thje map above.
The 1926 map of the Missouri State Highway Commission shows what then was Route 60 (yes, 60 and not 66 because they had taken the original planned numbering and not the one that was later agreed upon and which prevailed: U.S. 66). The paved surface ended at Springfield and the road from there to Avilla it was already being paved with concrete, after Avilla it was again paved all the way to Kansas. By 1929 it was completely paved. The Missouri DOT roadmap of 1945-46 only shows the towns of Avilla, Phelps and Halltown between Springfield and Carthage.
Route 66 and Interstate I-44
Route 66 and Interstate 44 lived along together for many years (like many U.S. Higwhays do today), From Springfield west, to Halltown, they overlapped and at this point US 66 went northwards to Spencer and west to Carthage along its original alignment (now MO-96) while I-44 turned southwest and then west to Oklahoma. They coexisted until the federal government officially decommissioned Route 66 in 1985.
> > See the previous segment Springfield to Halltown (east)
> > See the next segment Plew to Avilla (west)