Plan the Road Trip of your Life

Home | Blog

Route 66


Missouri Flag

A Living Ghost Town....

Last Updated:

Avilla is a living ghost town on U.S. 66 has the Avilla Post Office built in 1915 (formerly a Bank) and Bernie's Bar, which used to be Flo's Tavern, the stone building of the Odd Fellows Lodge.
Its 1800s Church is the oldest in the region and close by are the remains of Midway Service & Cafe, Log City Camp and site of the now defunct Forest Park Camp.

Avilla MO

< Head West
Webb City ¦ Carterville ¦ Carthage

Head East >
Plew ¦ Rescue ¦ Phelps




Rent your car advertisement

About Avilla Missouri

Facts, Trivia and useful information

Elevation: 1,122 ft (342 m). Population 125 (2010).
Time zone: Central (CST): UTC minus 6 hours. Summer (DST) CDT (UTC-5).

Avilla is a small village on Old Route 66 on the eastern edge of Jasper County, in southwestern Missouri. (Map of Avilla).

Avilla Post Office building, from 1915, Route 66

Avilla Post Office building, from 1915 Route 66
Avilla Post Office building, from 1915 in Avilla, Missouri, , Click for Street view

History of Avilla

Missouri was peopled over ten thousand years ago at the end of the last Ice Age. These Paleoindians became the hunter gatherer tribes of more recent times. Around 700 BC the Osage people moved into the Ozarks from their homeland on the Mississippi and Ohio rivers evicted by the belligerent Iroquois.

French explorers from Canada claimed the region in 1682 and named it "Louisiana" after their king Louis XIV. Napoleon sold the territory to the U.S. in 1803 and this part of vast Louisiana became the Missouri Territory in 1812 and part of the Union in 1821.

White settlement forced the Osage people to cede their land (the 1808, 1818 and 1825 treaties), moving them to a new Reservation in the Indian Territory (which would later become Oklahoma).

The first settlers arrived in what would become Avilla in the 1830s, and Jasper County was organized in 1841. Avilla's first school was called White Oak School as it was close to the creek of the same name. In 1858 D. S. Holman and A.L. Love platted the township, which they named Avilla. They became Postmaster (the post office opened in 1860) and Justice of Peace respectively.

The name: Avilla

It is said to have been named after Avilla Indiana which in turn was settled between 1836 and 1844 and named so because one of its settlers, Judge Edwin Randall liked the name which came from the Spanish word for villages, "villa".

During the American Civil War, despite Missouri being a Confederate state, the town's leaders were unionists, and after 1862 it was garrisoned by the Union Army, and did not suffer the ravages of the war. After the war it boomed while the neighboring towns were being rebuilt.

The Ghosts of Avilla

There is a local legend ("Avilla Phantom Bushwhacker") about a Confederate soldier (Rotten Johyn Reb, who was a "Bushwhacker") who remained unburied and the "Death Tree" where his skull was hung. The headless ghost is seeking revenge while he looks for his missing head. Read more about it.

It was located on a main stage coach line and prospered until the railway bypassed the town in its route from Springfield to Carthage. This stunted growth and the town stagnated.

Then, in the early 1900s, cars took to the roads and trails across the area, which were in terrible condition so the Ozark Trails Association was created in 1913 by W. H. "Coin" Harvey (1851-1936), a teacher and businessman and entrepreneur he believed in good roads and promoting car travel and tourism.

The Ozark Trail crossed Missouri, Oklahoma, Texas and reached the Santa Fe Trail in New Mexico.

Route 66 was created in 1926 and aligned along the Ozark Trail from St. Louis MO to Romeroville NM.

Travel along the mother road in the 1930s brought relief to the small village and it survived until US 66 was bypassed by I-44, which had opened in 1958 from Oklahoma City to Joplin and continued east along former US-166, south of Avilla, to Springfield. Despite the new freeway, Route 66 remained in use in Missouri until it was decertificied.

Where to Lodge in Avilla, Missouri

Lodging close to Avilla: in neighboring Carthage...

> > Book your hotel in neighboring Carthage

More Lodging near Carthage along Route 66

Motels and Hotels close to Carthage

Hotels, Westwards in Missouri

Heading West... Hotels & Motels in Kansas...

Further West... Hotels & Motels on Route 66 in Oklahoma...

Heading East in Missouri, more accommodation

Book your Route 66 hotel now
Book your Hotel along Route 66

>> Check out the RV campgrounds in nearby Carthage

Weather in Avilla

Latest Avilla, Missouri weather
Route 66: Avilla map with town location
Location of Avilla on Route 66

Avilla has a wet & subtropical climate with dry and cold winters and very wet summers (the rainy season spans from April to July, with thunderstorms).

Averages rainfall is 46.5 in (1.180 mm) yearly plus some 11.9 in. of snow (30 cm) in winter.

The winter (Jan) the average high is 44.9°F (7.2°C) and the average low is below freezing, with 25.0°F (-3.9deg;C). The summer (Jul) average high is 90.6°F (32.6°C) and the average low is 69.° (21.1°).

Tornado risk

Avilla is located within the infamous "Tornado Alley" and Japer County has an average of 6 tornado strikes per year.

Tornado Risk: read more about Tornado Risk along Route66.

Getting to Avilla

You can reach Avilla along historic Route 66 and Interstate I-44 that links it with Tulsa and Oklahoma City in the west and with Springfield and St. Louis in the east. US Hwy. 71 (overlapping I-49) links it with Fort Smith, Arkansas and Kansas City.


Map of Route 66 through Avilla Missouri

See the alignment of US 66 in this location, on our Missouri Route 66 Map, it has the complete alignment across the state with all the towns along it.

Accommodation Search box:


Rentalcars advertisement

Route 66's alignment in Missouri: the Historic Route 66 through Avilla

Route 66 logo

Route 66 across Missouri

Historic U.S. highway 66, "Route 66" has been designated as an All-American Road and National Scenic Byway in the state of Missouri.

Click on the following link for a Full description of Route 66 across the state of Missouri.

Below is more information on the different Route 66's alignments through Avilla (they are shown in the Map above)

Route 66 Sights in Avilla

Landmarks and Places to See

A Vanishing Town

Avilla and its Route 66 attractions

Avilla is a "Living Ghost Town", still hanging on to life on Route 66. It is known for the 1915 Avilla Post Office and former Bank, its Flo's Tavern (Bernie's Bar) and the Odd Fellows Lodge. It has an 1800s Church and close by are the remains of the U.S. 66 Log City and Midway Service & Cafe.

Historic context, the classic Route 66 in Avilla

Jack DeVere Rittenhouse wrote his book "A Guide Book to Highway 66" in 1946 and it provides a very good idea of what Route 66 was like during its heyday.

Rittenhouse mentions the town as follows: "Avilla (Pop 178) Gas, cafe, stores" it was an important agricultural trading and supply center. One mile east of the town were two gas stations and the "White Oak Cabins". He added that Log City (4 mi. east) and Stone City (3 mi.) were resorts with cabins built of logs and stone. There were service stations and cafes. There were gas stations 6 miles, and 8 miles east and, nine miles east was Rescue.

Tour the route 66 landmarks in Avilla

Avilla is set in the Ozarks, and its main attractions are the few buildings that face Route 66, its 1915 Post Office and the City Park.

The Ozarks

Route 66 crossess the Missouri Ozarks from St. Louis to th Kansas state line.

The Ozarks, is a highland region in south-central Missouri, northern Arkansas and northwestern Oklahoma. It covers 47,000 sq. mi. (122.000 km2. The name drives from French "aux Arcs" where "Arcs" is an abbreviation of "Arkansas", meaning: "From ⁄ at Arkansas".

The karst limestones of the Springfield Plateau (Joplin to Stafford along US 66) has sinkholes, caves and springs, which are also found in the dolostone rocks of the Salem Plateau north and east of Stafford towards St. Louis.

The land is mostly gently rolling in this region and Missouri is known as the "Cave State" with more than 6,000 caves, mostly in the Ozarks.

Begin your tour on the western side of town. At the City Park (Street view):

City Park

To your left is the small park facing Route 66 on the NW corner of Lamar. Beside it is the old building of Semmons & Rives, which during the Civil War was a commercial business run by D. B. Rives and T. J. Stemmons (Street View).

Turn at Lamar and just ahead to your left is the Historic Post Office:

Avilla Post Office: former Bank of Avilla

205 Greenfield St, Avilla NW corner of Lamar and Greenfield.

Pictured at the top of the page, the bank was created in 1914 and the building opened to the public in 1915. It was the local farmers' and merchants' bank and managed to weather the Great Depression during the 1930s.

On May 18, 1932, the "Irish O'Malley Gang" robbed the bank and kidnaped the cashier, Ivy Russell who was released unharmed in Carthage. The gang members were eventually jailed or shot.

In 1944 it merged into the Bank of Carthage and the business remained empty until 1952 when it became the Post Office's building.

Keep north along Lamar, take a right on Binney St. and visit the old church:

Methodist Church in Avilla

Avilla 1800s (United) Methodist Church, Credits

19th Century Church

SE corner of Binney St. and Church St..

The Avilla (United) Methodist Church was actually the first church established in the town and dates back to the 1800s.

Head back to Route 66 and head east, on the next block, between MO-37 and Short St., to your left are some old ruinous buildings, from west to east:

Flo's Tavern

Route 66 Avilla

What is nowadays Bernie's Bar used to be Flo's Tavern it was run by Thomas W. Melugin (1903 - 1968) and his wife Florida Pratt Melugin (1910 - 1995). They had married (he for a second time) in 1947 and had two children.

Apart from the tavern, they also ran the Hotel next to it.

Avilla's central district along Route 66

Avilla downtown area on Route 66
Avilla, downtown area on Route 66 Avilla, Missouri, , Click for Street view

In the image above, from left to right: Bernie's Bar (former Flo's Tavern), the stone building was a grocery store (Old French's) and the two-story wood frame one was the Old Fellows Lodge.

Odd Fellows Lodge

It is a wood frame building built in Victorian style around 1885, it was the IOOF meeting hall and the most impressive building on Route 66 in Avilla.

The Odd Fellows Lodge formed its chapter in Avilla at a very early date (ca. 1870s) together with the Freemasons.

The Independent Order of Odd Fellows (IOOF) (Odd Fellows for short) is a secret society without any political or sectarian orientation. It was founded by Thomas Wildey in Baltimore, USA in 1819 (curious? check their website). Here is a street view of both the IOOF and the old stone builging, the grocery store, next to it. And this ends the "city tour".

Right beside it, to the west was a stone building sandwiched between "Bernie's Bar" to the west and Odd Fellows building to the east:

Stone Grocery Store

This stone building with two boarded windows and a door in the middle is a commercial structure sharing a common wall with the lodge. The stone rubble is randomly laid giving it a strange appearance.

Tours & Itineraries

Log City Camp

Co. Ln 6 and Route 66 just west of Plew

Established in 1926, by Carl Stansbury, 1938 it had a service station a cafe, diner, (liquor store) and fourteen cabins with bathtubs. It was located east of the town (3.5 mi.) After I-44 bypassed Route 66 in the late 1960s, they had less visitors and eventually closed.

More recently the former service station was reformed and converted into an auto body shop.

Forest Park Camp - Gone

This competitor of Log City, opened in 1928, right across the highway from Log City Camp. It had rock cabins, café and restaurant. It too declined and now no trace remains.

Log City as it looks today, Avilla MO

Log City as it looks today, Avilla MO ; click to enlarge
Google Street View

Log City in a vintage postcard Avilla MO

Log City vintage postcard Avilla MO ; click to enlarge

Midway Service & Cafe Avilla MO

View of the Midway Service & Cafe, Google
Click on image for Street View

Midway Service & Cafe

To the east of Avilla, roughly 0.5 miles before White Oak Creek, north side of the road.

See its Map with Location.

Mary Maynard and her husband bought it in 1953, it also had a gas station that burned down in the '70s. The side gabled, gold and red stone (in "giraffe style) building was brought to this place from another site in the early 1950s and had been built ca. 1930.

Old Route 66 in Avilla, Missouri

From Plew to Avilla

Route 66 follows a straight course from Plew to Avilla, and it has followed it since Route 66 was created back in 1926, which is shown in Pale Blue in the Map above.

West of Avilla, the road that linked Avilla with Carthage prior to Route 66, was known as the "Old Carthage Road".

The 1926 map of the Missouri State Highway Commission shows what then was Route 60 (yes, 60 and not 66 because they had taken the original planned numbering and not the one that was later agreed upon and which prevailed: U.S. 66). The paved surface ended at Springfield and the road from there to Avilla it was already being paved with concrete, after Avilla it was again paved all the way to Kansas. By 1929 it was completely paved. The Missouri DOT roadmap of 1945-46 only shows the towns of Avilla, Phelps and Halltown between Springfield and Carthage.

Route 66 and Interstate I-44

Route 66 and Interstate 44 lived along together for many years (like many U.S. Higwhays do today), From Springfield west, to Halltown, they overlapped and at this point US 66 went northwards to Spencer and west to Carthage along its original alignment (now MO-96) while I-44 turned southwest and then west to Oklahoma. They coexisted until the federal government officially decommissioned Route 66 in 1985.

> > See the previous segment Halltown to Plew (east)

> > See the next segment Avilla to Carthage (west)


Jack DeVere Rittenhouse, (1946). A Guide Book to Highway 66.

Banner image: Dead Man's Curve, Laguna New Mexico by Perla Eichenblat.